Monday, March 04, 2013

Love Online and Heads in Beds

It's another relaxing Sunday, and it's March now. It seems that New Year's eve has just passed by. Wow!!! Two months have passed by just like a snap in our fingers.

Last night I slept late again, since it was weekend. But I woke up quite early this morning. And it's been sometimes that I didn't wake up early during Sunday, until I found out that Singapore TV Channel 8 is actually still broadcasting Doraemon at 9.30am. Hahaha... I thought that they are no more broadcasting it anymore since they have done that for so many years... :P

My stomach was grumbling so I decided to cook Korean noodle with egg as I was lazy to go out. It was quite a big bowl, so I shared it with my son. Once my stomach was filled sufficiently, I went back to my bed... lazing around.. and starting to watch Running Man. Hahaha.... It's been some time I hadn't watched it, so I took my time to watch few episodes this morning :D

In the afternoon, I finally got up from my bed and took a bath, then doing housework. Hahaha... Sunday, what else can I do??? Did laundry, folded clothes, ironed working clothes, swept and mopped the floor, steamed food as I got hungry again, washed plates, wiped the table, and so on. When it's finished, I finally had time to continue reading book that I borrowed last two weeks in library after meeting my best friend for dinner. There were 2 books I borrowed. And both were still new, fresh and crisp. I could still smell the freshness as if both had just been delivered from the publishing company kekeke... 


The first book, 'Love Online', was put in the rack after we entered the library. By just looking at the title, it was so tantalizing. It wanted me to lift it up and flip it around, to have a peek what was the story inside. My friend, who came after me, was curious when seeing my smiling face and weird look on my face. Then I showed it to her some of the sub titles inside. She was smiling too. And so I decided to borrow and bring it home. She told me to pass the book to her once I've finished reading it. Hahaha......

Below is the description of the book:

"The internet is changing the rules of the game of love. In a world where anything is possible, a potential date - whether it be a one-night stand or the start of a more lasting relationship - can be just a click away. Anyone looking for love online can throw off their inhibitions and can say what they have never dared to before. 

The internet revolution has ensured that online dating has now become both widespread and commonplace. Online users can buy into the consumerist illusion that they can choose a man or woman in the same way that they would shop for groceries - this is the new hypermarket of desire.

Women in particular can enjoy a new sexual assertiveness. Where once they might have looked for an emotional attachment, they are now demanding simply the right to have a good time.

However, love cannot be reduced to such simple terms. The apparently risk-free world of online dating is at odds with love in real life, which has its own demands and expectations. You cannot introduce another person into your life and expect everything to remain the same. Human beings have a way of turning your life upside down.


In this compelling book, Jean-Claude Kaufmann navigates this new emotional world and explores the tensions between sex and love, instant gratification and enduring commitment."


Don't you think it's interesting? Like it has said, the internet revolution has changed the way people dating. Jean-Claude Kaufmann, is a Professor of Sociology at University of Paris V Sorbonne, a French sociologist, who did research and comprehensive interviews to get the data. Well, the data was mostly derived from western societies like Europe, which has more liberal views about sex and relationship. However, in real lives, I think this is happening everywhere in the world, not necessarily just in western countries. Because internet has no boundaries. It is happening everywhere in the world.

For me, it is good to add your knowledge on how people behave in nowadays world with a platform of online dating. And below was quoted from inside the book that I picked:

"Man and woman have taken different views of sexuality for hundreds of years. And whilst those differences are now fading, they have not really disappeared. Men find the idea of pure pleasure with no strings attached exciting; they have long been interested in sex for the sake of sex. It is only relatively recently that women have discovered that possibility. This is quite simply because they were not allowed to think in that way: their role was to be the heart of the family, and they were expected to devote themselves to their families, body and soul (Knibielher and Fouquet 1982).

When they did acquire the right to enjoy themselves, pleasure could not be divorced from love and the family. The two things went together. There were historical reasons why men could keep them separate, but that option was not open to woman. The effects of this are still being felt. Woman fall in love more easily than men. And, men never change. Men are much more likely than women to be sexual predators..."


Another book was found in another rack, called "Heads in Beds". The author, Jacob Tomsky, has worked in hospitality industry for more than a decade unintentionally. From valet parker to front office agent, then from supervising the housekeeping department to manning the front desk at an upscale Manhattan hotel. This book reveals the secrets of the industry, offering easy ways to get what you need from your hotel without any hassle. It is a funny, authentic, and irreverent chronicle of the highs and lows of hotel life.

Hopefully I can finish reading it by next Sunday. Well, hope you all had a great weekend, and wish you all have a great week ahead!! Read more ba, entertain your curiosity and add your knowledge about what is happening around us, it will make our world more colorful and sometimes may add wisdom in our lives :)

3 comments:

Liana - Yi Zhen said...

i prefer the second book...

Sangay Duba said...

Seems interesting book it is!!

Overcome Life said...

Yz: the second book is interesting though, really talking about what behind the hotel operations. If you work in the hotel before, you can't stop agreeing more with what he said. Hehe...
Sangay: yes, both books are interesting. But better don't apply book 1 in reality, and stick to normal dating, especially in Bhutan. Your life will be much happier and peaceful :) Cheers and thank you for following my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...